Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Have a Dragon. His Name is Tony.


My technology enjoys staging sneaky little revolts.

I am not sure why this happens.  However, I am sure I do not like it.

My computer has developed its own little personality.  It will roar when it is unhappy, humm and buzz when it’s pleased, and occasionally decides that obedience is optional.  (This is greatly disconcerting when considering the case of artificial intelligence/robots taking over the world… I cannot even control my Mac, and it has no means of locomotion.)

My phone is a lost cause.  It baa-ed in class today.  Baa.  Like a sheep.  Sometimes it gets too excited and forgets it’s on mute.

So now my class just thinks I make random animal noises.

Which is totally cool.

Speaking of cool, I was fingerprinted today!

We had to go get background checks in order to get our student visas, which involved a whole lot of wandering around downtown Buenos Aires with tiny maps, broken Spanish questions to clueless policemen, and an overall unhappy little crowd under an Argentine drizzle. 

My friend had a constant supply of chocolate for me, to ensure I didn’t punch anyone.  So I trotted along after everyone contentedly.

Did a very good job of pretending to speak Spanish in the background check office.  Sat and waited patiently until my name appeared on the screen – VIRGIN.

Thanks, Mom.

Tottled into the little office and took a seat in front of an efficient looking office worker.  Wasn’t sure what she wanted, and she didn’t seem particularly inclined to enlighten me, so I kept hopefully offering her random bits of paper. 

Things were going splendidly until she asked for my right hand.

Now, this is a bit of an embarrassing confession, but I do not reliably know my directions (driving with a copilot always an adventure!). 

I panicked.

Instead of simply stopping and considering my dilemma like a sane person, I picked up both of my hands and began flailing them about in front of her.  Vaguely affronted, she selected the proper one and snatched it out of the air.

Everything was fine from then on, at least from my end.  It was probably rather odd for her that I giggled at every fingerprint.  It was a little odd for me, too, in retrospect.

I tend to fall madly in love with inanimate objects.  They are rarely of any actual true value – and generally have absolutely no true purpose.  Yet I will obsess over them for hours, either moping about because I didn’t get them, or stroking them lovingly (ie Golem) if I do.

This is how I ended up with Tony.  Tony is my dragon.

Bought him off a street vendor today, and I think all my more normal friends were a bit surprised.  There were rows and rows of Argentine jewelry and typical “mate” gourds and even Rasta dreadlocks – and I bought a dragon made of wire.

He’s quite a ferocious beast, actually. 

Going to the beach this weekend!  Am completely thrilled.

This does, however, mean that I will be wearing a bikini.  Am relatively certain this falls into the category of Bad Ideas, as I tend to be prone to wardrobe malfunctions.  Regardless, will return home wonderfully tan (and perhaps infamous in certain regions of the country)!


Tony is teaching my The Ways of the Dragon.



I am teaching him The Ways of the Virginia.


Now that I have discovered a way in which to upload pictures, perhaps I can use this power for good.  As in, pictures of Argentina.  Not pictures of my dragon and me.

Side note: the Blog War continues.  

No comments:

Post a Comment